Do I Need an Elevation Certificate?

What is an elevation certificate?

An elevation certificate is a document provided to homeowners, insurance agents, and other entities to examine the risk of flooding in order to establish property values, insurance premiums, potential risks and dangers associated with a property, and more.

Walking Trail Through Wooded Forest

What is an elevation certificate used for?

The standard form of elevation certificates was developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in order to ensure all properties located with a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) are constructed according to codes that prevent the risk of flooding. For example, if your home is located in a flood zone, you likely will not have a basement, or your home may be constructed several feet above a floodplain to help prevent flooding.

>> READ MORE: When Do I Need a Property Survey?

What does an elevation certificate show?

An elevation certificate provides information used to answer a number of questions, including:

  • Is this home or property located in a flood zone?
  • What is the risk of flooding for this property?
  • Are any parts of this home below a floodplain?
  • What could pose a threat to homeowners or landowners should this property flood?

In addition to allowing insurance agencies to provide accurate premium information to homeowners, elevation certificates allow homeowners or property owners to understand the potential for problems should flooding occur. You’ll want to know and understand the risks involved before purchasing any home or property. For example, is your property located near cell towers, telephone poles, and other structures that could cause serious harm?

Landscape with Hills

How do I get an elevation certificate?

An elevation certificate can be obtained from an experienced property surveyor who will work with you or your insurance agent to provide an estimate of flood risk for your home or property. In some cases, an insurance agent may request we visit your home or property. In other cases, he or she may request you obtain an elevation certificate, in which case we’ll work directly with you to provide them with the information they need to offer you the most accurate and affordable insurance premiums.

>> READ MORE: Property Surveys for Homeowners

Where can I get an elevation certificate in Tennessee?

As one of the only Certified Floodplain Surveyors (CFS) in Tennessee, Global Surveying, LLC provides general property surveys, ALTA surveys, elevation certificates, and more for properties located throughout the state of Tennessee.


Posted by Brian McMeans at 10:01